Local Celebrities Celebrate Halloween by “Carving for the Cause”
October 22-25, 2015
Children at Risk, Ottawa presents their 20th Annual Celebrity-Carved Pumpkin Contest!! This popular seasonal fundraising event is being held from Thursday, October 22 to Sunday, October 25. For over 36 years, Children at Risk (a local charity) has been providing supports to Autistic children & their families in the Ottawa Region – filling in ``the gaps`` in services available through government agencies.
2015 marks 2 Decades that enthusiastic and talented local Celebrities, Politicians, Media Personalities and Businesses have been helping to recognize October as Autism Awareness Month by carving orange orbs into gorgeous gourds! Veteran Carvers will be challenged by first-timers, with over 100 pumpkins being transformed in the name of charity!! Participants include Jill Skinner - Ottawa Police Services, City of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and Councillors, Ottawa Senators, Ottawa 67’s, RedBlacks and Fury as well as MPP’s Lisa MacLeod, Bob Chiarelli, , John Fraser, Marie-France Lalonde, Madeleine Meilleur & Yasir Naqvi to name just a few - plus many other local businesses, radio, television and newspaper personalities. Participants compete for the lucky “Top Thirteen” list of carvers for 2015 and a Trophy for the Top Carver!
The pumpkin creations will be on display at Merivale Mall after our Reception at 10 AM on Thursday, October 22 – then additionally at Carlingwood Shopping Centre, Place d’Orléans and Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre from Friday, October 23 to Sunday, October 25. Visitors to the Malls can vote for their favourite pumpkin or celebrity by donating spare change. Celebrities have also donated “Prize Packages” for silent auction bidding (on-site & on-line www.childrenatrisk.ca ) Our Auction Site this year is with:
online charity auctions
With the support of the Celebrity Carvers and generous donations from our community, funds raised in the previous 19 years total over $114,449! All proceeds will help Children at Risk “fill in the gaps” in publicly-funded Autism services with their Community-Based Special Projects, which include Camp Kaleidoscope – our All-Day Summer Camp, Family Support Groups, Information Seminars and Educational Training Workshops. Children at Risk recognizes the importance of supporting the whole family as they cope with the daily challenges of raising an Autistic child. With the funds raised through events like the Celebrity-Carved Pumpkin Contest, these children can be provided with the best opportunities to achieve their maximum potential!
Not being able to speak is not the same as having nothing to say
Other Participating Celebrities Include:
Carter & Sandra, Amy Volume (KISS FM) Sue’s Sweets & Within The Grain Nuvo Eye Centre de L’Oeil Orleans Adrian Harewood, Ian Black & Teri Loretto (CBC) Jack May Chevrolet, Buick, GMC West Ottawa Board of Trade Jock Climie (CFL Alumni & TSN Analyst) The Morning HOT Tub (The New HOT 89.9) 101.9 DAWG FM Shaun Van Allen (Ottawa Senators Alumni) Stuntman Stu & Angie Poirier, Katharine Dines & Candace Drover (Majic 100 FM) Lowell Green, Steve Madely & Shelley McLean (CFRA AM), Mr. Hollywood Codi & Nida (Jewel 98.5 FM Morning Show) Steve & Brian (Jewel 98.5 FM Afternoon Drive) The Saint, Dean Valentine, Johnny Novak & DJ Ilon, Tony, Jesse & Brooksy (JUMP! 106.9 FM) Jen Traplin & The LIVE 88.5 Startup – Katfish, Dave & Amal (LIVE 88.5) Dean Brown (TSN 1200 AM) & Steve Warne (TGOR – TSN 1200 AM) Ryan & Sophie - New Country Mornings, MaryAnne, Brittany & PJ - Country 94 FM Councillors Jeff Leiper, Riley Brockington, Keith Egli, Mark Taylor, Bob Monette, Diane Deans, Jody Mitic George Darouze, Allan Hubley, Catherine McKenney, Jean Cloutier, Tobi Nussbaum & Michael Qaqish Tammy Wagar’s & Lesia Gilbert’s AVON, 167th Ottawa Pathfinders, Orleans Family Dentistry Ottawa Safety Council, Jim Durrell Capital Dodge, Mortgage Brokers Ottawa, Speedy St. Laurent Tiny Hoppers Riverside South, Barrhaven, Orleans, Rockland, Kanata North & Bridlewood Lisa Zanon-Speech Therapy, Ottawa Bride, CM Photography, Dr. Bryan Altshuller – Orleans Orthodontics Cora’s Lincoln Fields, Il Paradiso Spa & Strandz Hair Design, Canadian National Institute of Health, Lincoln Fields: Wine Rack, Century 21, Dental Centre & PAMS Coffee, West End Academy, Ink Plus Family Harmonies Familiales, REMAX Core Realty Inc., Paul Rushforth Real Estate Sylvan Learning, Jennifer Chamberlain–Royal Lepage Gale Real Estate, The Exercise Lady.com Wayne Scanlan, Joanne Laucius & Lynn Saxberg (Ottawa Citizen) , Metroland Media Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa, Carol Kassis-Pampered Chef, Fatboys Smokehouse, ANK Audiokits Doc & Woody and Eric the Intern (CHEZ 106.1 FM), Rogers TV Bruce Garrioch, Chris Hofley, Susan Sherring & Dani-Elle Dube (Ottawa Sun) JJ Clarke, Patricia Boal, Katie Griffin & Michael O’Byrne (CTV Ottawa News) Lianne Laing, Lois Lee, Annette Goerner & Melissa Lamb (CTV Morning Live) Shock & Sharkey, Heather Ray, Dylan Black – (boom 99.7 FM) Danielle Allard – Ottawa Musician
Photo Opportunity Celebrities have been invited, to deliver their pumpkin creations to Merivale Mall (Centre Court) at 10:00 AM on Thursday, October 22nd. Pumpkins will then be divided and transferred to Carlingwood Shopping Centre, Place d’Orléans and Lincoln Fields for Friday, October 23rd with voting continuing until 3:30 PM on Sunday, October 25th.
Background -Autism is a lifelong neurological, developmental disorder that now affects 1 in every 68 North American children, with 1 in 54 boys (boys more than 4 times more likely than girls to have Autism). With a new case every 20 minutes, these numbers reflect more children being diagnosed with Autism than with AIDS, Diabetes and Cancer combined! Autism impacts the typical development of the brain in the areas of social interaction and communication skills. Children diagnosed within the Autism Spectrum Disorders are often, without help, unable to speak, relate to others, be aware of dangerous situations and even play appropriately with toys. Children at Risk continues to help Autistic children and their families in the Ottawa area - solely supported on fundraising and donations. Children at Risk strives to address the gaps in government services for Autism, providing representation and community supports. Responding to the need, we piloted our 1st All-Day Summer Camp in 2011 and increased our spots yet again in 2015, 338% from 2011! Our Friendship Social Skill Therapy Support Groups help to provide the children with the tools to function in this complex world of communication and social interaction. Saturday Fun Club offers Respite for Families – and recreational FUN for the children! Our Sibling Support Workshops allow brothers and sisters the opportunity to understand their disabled sibling. Our Seminars explore existing and new interventions to provide information for parents, caregivers and professionals. Information and Knowledge can lead to Understanding and Support, assisting children with Autism so as to improve the quality of life for both the child and their family!
Kids – Autism….Let’s Help!
How Bidding Works
Thank you for joining our On-line portion of the Celebrity/Business Pumpkin Auction for 2015 - our 20th anniversary year. This auction is unique in that bidding is not limited to or ends On-line. What does this mean for you?
- You are not only competing with bids placed by other On-Line Bidders but also bids are placed at one of the four mall locations in Ottawa. The Mall Managers update the On-line bids with the Mall bids so that the highest bid value is up to date.
- You can choose to bid only on those Pumpkins at your nearest Mall by clicking on the Mall Name to the left of the page. Otherwise you can check out all pumpkins. Each one will clearly identify where the pumpkin is located. See below for Mall details.
- At 2 p.m. on Sunday 25th October the On-Line auction will close and the Lead or Highest bidder will be emailed. This email identifies you as the current highest bidder not the ultimate winner.
- Mall bidding closes at 3.30 p.m. on Sunday 25th October. We suggest that if you do not wish to be outbid that you go to the location of your most valued pumpkin and continue bidding on the bidding sheets. If you have more than one Pumpkin bid and they are located at different malls, you will need to send someone there to continue bidding on your behalf or you could put a higher bid to dissuade other bidders from out bidding you.
- In the event of a Bidding war between two bidders present, the bidding sheet will be removed 5 minutes before the end of the auction. At 3.30 p.m. the two bidders will be allowed to submit a blind bid for what they wish to bid for the pumpkin. The highest bid will be the ultimate winning bid. The value of this bid will be confidential unless the highest bidder provides this information to the 2nd bidder.
- If you are not out bid at the Mall and are the ultimate winner you will be contacted by 4 p.m. by telephone where you can provide your credit card details. Please provide the telephone number that you can be reached at this time. You then have until the Mall closes to collect your pumpkins unless other arrangements are made during the telephone conversation. Depending on these instructions we will either hold onto your pumpkin or dispose of it and mail your package if it is tickets etc.
- In the event that we have not been able to establish contact with you by speaking to you in person or you calling us back by Noon on Tuesday 27th October, you will have forfeited your right as winner and the Pumpkin and prize package will be offered to the 2nd highest bidder. The Children At Risk telephone number is 613 741 8255 or email email@example.com
- The value of the prize package does not include the value of the pumpkin unless it has accessories. In the event that your pumpkin rots and is disposed of you may be offered an alternative pumpkin but this is not guaranteed. You will get the decoration accessories as part of your package.
How can I pay for my Prize Package?
Children At Risk accepts Cash, Visa, Mastercard and AMEX for prize package payments.
Who are the Celebrity Carvers?
Newpaper, Radio, Television and Sports personalities along with Ward, Provincial and Federal Politicians and any businesses or private individuals that wish to participate have graciously taken the time to carve or decorate a pumpkin and provide prize packages to tempt bidders. All funds raised are to Children At Risk as all 3rd party companies have generously provided their goods or services.
Why doesn’t the on-line bidder win the prize?
Children At Risk’s on-line auction is different from most on-line auctions in that the auction does not end with the winning bidder on-line. At 2 p.m. on Sunday 25th Oct the highest bidder is announced on-line but bidding continues at the Four Malls for another 90 minutes allowing time for on-line bidders to get to the Mall to continue bidding. The reason for this is that pumpkins are perishable and we need winners to take them home with their prize package. We suggest that if you really want to win that you go to the Mall where the pumpkin is located and continue to bid there.
Why does the same person keeping out bidding themselves?
As well as on-line, bidding also takes place at the Malls throughout the period and these are added to the on-line bids by the Mall Managers under the Mall ID to keep the highest bid current.
What if I win the prize package and can’t get to the Mall before closing?
All ultimate winners will be contacted by Telephone. At this time you can make arrangements to collect the pumpkin either later that evening or from the Office on Monday or Tuesday.
What are the closing times of each Mall?
- Carlingwood Shopping Centre - 6 p.m.
- Lincoln Field Shopping Centre - 5.30 p.m.
- Merivale Mall - 5 p.m.
- Place D’Orleans - 5 p.m.
What is the location of each Mall?
What happens if I can’t collect my pumpkin or do not want my pumpkin?
Pumpkins will be kept until Tuesday evening at the Children At Risk offices. After this time they will be disposed of. At the time of winning if you don’t wish to have the pumpkin please say so and it will be given to someone else. On occasions pumpkins rot and have to be disposed of during the auction period. This is outside of our control and we will try and replace it with another pumpkin but do not guarantee this.
Can I be mailed my Prize Package?
If you do not want the pumpkin and the prize package are tickets or easily mailed, these can be mailed to you at the discretion of the Children At Risk office. If decided after the Mall has contacted you on Sunday, please call them to make these arrangements at 613 741 8255.